HDA builds partnerships in the Free State
In order to provide support to provinces, an agreement is negotiated and signed between the agency and province. The HDA has just renewed its agreement (medium-term operational plan, or MTOP) with the Free State Province for a further five years – the MTOP outlines the support and services to be provided by the agency of the five year period.
The HDA’s Free State office embarked on its annual provincial roadshow with the aim of building strong partnerships. The roadshow comprised a series of successful workshops held in each of the four districts – Xhariep, Lejweleputswa, Thabo Mofutsanyana and Fezile Dabi – between 18 and 25 February 2015.
The roadshow also served to promote and raise awareness about the HDA’s services and support.
Participants were from various municipalities, and included middle and senior managers in the divisions responsible for human settlements. These were housing, Integrated Development Plan (IDP), town planning and technical managers and project managers, as well as Free State Human Settlements district project managers.
Above and beyond an excellent turn-out of officials during all the workshops, the objectives of the roadshows were achieved and included:
- Updates on progress on the key support areas of informal settlements upgrading, project pipeline and land assembly
- Municipal inputs on HDA work completed in municipalities
- This will enable the agency to update our Informal Settlements Upgrade reports, pipeline project lists and information on land needs
- Local challenges and areas of support required by municipalities were outlined and recorded
- HDA reports on informal settlements chapters for the NUSP municipalities were submitted to responsible housing officials
- Municipalities will incorporate these into their housing chapters, which will form part of municipal IDPs and future upgrading plans
- The HDA agreed with municipalities that a project pipeline task team will be established at a district level, to provide regular project pipeline updates and to conduct project technical verification
Suggestions on how improvements can be achieved in future were received. Municipalities and district officials were pleased with HDA’s visits and involvement. “The HDA workshops were informative, educational and useful for our daily operational work at a local level,” said the officials.